Frequently Asked Questions
Please find the answers to some of our most frequently asked questions (FAQs) below.
How many pupils are there at Bishop's Stortford College?
There are typically 620 pupils in the Senior School, 500 pupils in the Prep School and 120 pupils in the Pre-Prep.
How many pupils are in each class?
In each class in the Pre-Prep there are up to 22 pupils, in the Prep School there are up to 22 pupils, in the Senior School up to 24 pupils and the Sixth Form has an average of 10 students per class.
What pastoral and well-being support is available for pupils at Bishop's Stortford College?
As a 4-18 through school, the College consists of three sections; Pre-Prep, Prep School and Senior School. Each section is small enough that everyone is known, valued and nurtured and staff pay attention to individual pupil needs at all stages. At the heart of everything within the College is community, not least of which is looking after each other and ensuring everyone in our community is healthy, happy, has a sense of satisfaction from their daily life and and enjoys a sense of meaning and purpose. For more information on well-being at the College, please visit our Well-being and Mindfulness page.
What are the key developments of the last 5 years?
There have been many major developments at the College over the last 5 years including:
- the completion of Trotman, Collett and Rowe day and boarding Houses and the restoration of Robert Pearce House.
- the redevelopment of School House into 12 additional classrooms plus an administration hub and new staff accommodation (to be completed early 2021).
- 45 state-of-the-art laser projectors were installed into classrooms to facilitate teaching using white boards.
- installation of CCTV and security gates to the entrances and exits of boarding Houses to enhance pupil security during school hours.
- development of the former Human Resources offices into additional Medical Centre bedrooms.
- resurfacing of the Astro 2 pitch and the construction of a 3 court MUGA (Multi-use Games Area) alongside the addition of a further 8 cricket nets.
- a pupil-led recycling initiative which started in 2018 and has already reduced landfill waste from 95% to 45%.
If these pages still leave you with a question unanswered, please complete the form below and we will be pleased to help you.