Senior School Entry
Our admissions process is listed in the sections below. If you have further questions, please contact
Mrs Christine Stanley, Admissions Officer
Tel: 01279 838604
Step 1 - Initial enquiry and visit
In order to establish if we are the right school for your child or children you may wish to visit Bishop’s Stortford College. Depending on your own preference and the time of year, we can arrange an individual appointment for you; simply contact the Admissions Officer and/or attend the College Open Morning held in September each year. Please note that Year 9 (13+) entry is via two routes:
(a) Testing in January of Year 8 or;
(b) Pre-testing in January of Year 6.
Step 2 - Application
Once you have visited the College and decided that you would like to apply for a place, you will need to complete the Application Form, which is included in the prospectus pack or can be downloaded below.
The deadline for submission of the Application Form is 29th November 2019. Applications for either Scholarship or Financial Assistance awards should be submitted at the same time, if relevant.
For details about the procedure and timing for applying for a Scholarship Award, please see the Scholarship Information below. Talented sports people may also be interested to read about our Elite Sports Programme.
The deadline to apply for a Financial Assistance Award is the same as for applying for a place. However, the two forms do not need to be submitted at the same time. The College Application Form can be submitted in advance of the necessary financial information being collated in order to complete the Financial Assistance application.
Step 3 - Assessment
i) Entry Tests
- Early Testing Day for 2022 entry: Friday 10th January 2020
- Testing Day for 2020 entry: Tuesday 21st January 2020
- English, Mathematics, Science and Non-Verbal Reasoning
- Applicants will also be considered after January if places are available.
ii) School Report / Reference from your son or daughter’s current school
- A note on assessment criteria.
- Academic level: pupils will be expected to take nine or ten subjects and achieve 9, 8, 7, 6 or 5 in each subject.
- Special aptitudes: Sport, Music and Art are very strong at Bishop’s Stortford College. A special aptitude in any of these areas will be taken into consideration.
Step 4 - Offer of a place
Places will be offered for entry to the Senior School by 14th February 2020.
The Common Entrance exam results will be used as a setting tool.
Step 5 - Acceptance of a place
An Acceptance Form, which accompanies the offer letter, is then completed and returned to us, together with the Acceptance Fee by 2nd March 2020.