Higher Education & Careers
Options After Sixth Form
Advice and guidance are particularly important in the Sixth Form as pupils prepare to make important decisions about their future.
The Higher Education Programme
Each year 98% of our pupils continue on to Higher Education and to help prepare for this we have a Higher Education Programme which runs throughout the Sixth Form starting in December of the Lower Sixth year.
We believe that:
- One of the most important skills young people can have is self reliance;
- The combination of guidance, support, information and encouragement for self management as well as Career Management, underpins our work with the Sixth Form. This prepares them more fully for the transition from school to the greater independence of University life.
- It is important that students are aware of all options including university, apprenticeships and employment routes.
This principle is reinforced by the way in which the programme is organised:
- Advice and guidance are provided through presentations, tutorials and specific Higher Education and UCAS events.
- Pupils are encouraged to take responsibility for their research and their decisions.
- Information and guidance supports research into degree courses, universities and entry requirements.
- Pupils receive a regular bulletin alerting them to opportunities such as subject and Career Taster courses, Essay Competitions, Lectures etc.
- Specific advice is given regarding applications for Oxbridge, Medicine, Veterinary Medicine and Dentistry.
- Information and support is provided for those considering international university applications.
UCAS** applications – The College supports and advises pupils during each stage of the process including advice and guidance on A level results day (see opening times below). This year, 81% of students will be attending their first choice university.
Employment - For those pupils who choose to enter employment or Further Education after A levels we provide individual guidance which can include CV preparation and job applications.
Specialist advice is provided by:
- Higher Education & Careers staff who encourage pupils to discuss their ideas, concerns, or queries at any time, and as often as they need to.
- The Head and Deputy Head of Sixth Form, tutors and subject teachers who are closely involved in preparing pupils for academic and personal success.
Dr Gillian Allcock
Head of Higher Education & Careers
Telephone 01279 838606
Mrs Suzanne Santurri
Higher Education and Careers Assistant /Work Experience Coordinator
Telephone 01279 838593
Mrs Cassie Kennedy
Higher Education and Careers Assistant
Telephone 01279 838593
**UCAS – The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service